Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Yankee Stadium





I had the Honor and privilege of getting to the very first game at the NEW Yankee Stadium on April 3rd 2009, yes it was only exhibition, but I was still awe struck, and I can forever say I was at the first game a the new stadium.

Let me start by telling you that I was the first guy to bash the new stadium last year, do nothing but say ahhh we don't need it its a waste of time and money, even though the old stadium is semi falling apart, we can patch it up and use this another 5-10 years. 

I now want to take back everything I said last season about the new stadium, plain and simple.  

The stadium is beautiful and more user friendly, I have frequented many Yankee games, mostly in the bleachers, so I would always have to eat something before going, because lets face it, choices are limited at the stadium...right?

WRONG!

At this new stadium we have places like Johnny Rockets, Brother Jimmies BBQ, sushi place, many other retail food establishments that I can not even name off right now.  There are a couple of restaurants and bars, the coolest bar being the Mohegan Sun sports bar, also called the "Batters Eye" located in center field exactly where the old black bleachers used to be, clever name because of where the batters eye picks up the ball.  Not only can you pick up a spicy tuna roll, but hey if your wife wants you to pick up dinner on the way home from the game, just go to the butcher and pick up a couple of steaks right in the stadium!!  Better yet order take out from the restaurant that's open all year round right in the stadium.  Monument park is also near the sports bar and still the way we all remember it.  with all of the food choices and bars, you say what about the field??

Well lets walk around the outer track of the stadium where all the Yankee greats are immortalized in Legends Hall in HUGE photo's of all the greats in pinstripes.  as you walk around there are not only many more places to eat with more choices but also many more places to get beer, different types also.  Many many of the most important beer stand, Bud Light, and also other beers such as Coors light as many more stands around the stadium.  

Ever been to a game and the 7th inning rolls around and the bathroom is a tight squeeze and long lines around the whole place, well not here.  At the new stadium fans enjoy extra wide walking hallways accommodating to the amount of people at the stadium, and many more bathrooms, with you guessed right, many more urinals.  

Now back to the field, still the way we remember it, but what John Sterling and Michael Kay are claiming, is that with the hallways being much more wide open, it allows more air into the field from behind home plate, which carries balls out of the field.  Now i am not very technical or scientific in nature, but hey if this is true we are in for some exciting games, two home runs alone in the one game that I was at!!

The seats are a little more comfortable (even though a bit more expensive to sit in), beer is just 50 Cents more, and Dogs are the same price.

So we finally made it into the seats, where I was lucky enough to come across a ticket; I was able to get to the game with my brother and his best friend, and the best part of the game was when he turned to me and said, "your Father and Grandfather would be proud of us that we made it here today and how happy we are just to be here.  They were huge fanatics, and now I am glad we get to continue the tradition..."


2 comments:

  1. You should have told the part about getting lost while walking to your car......haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like your final thoughts but its very true we were a part of history but something that i will talk to the grave with me that i was there for the first one ever with my brother and my life long best friend priceless one of my best memories to date

    ReplyDelete