Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Another Pure Sport





Curling

I have to say that it really reminds me of running.......and about the same caliber of men play this "Grueling " sport

"Curling is a team sport with similarities t
o bowls and shuffleboard, played by two teams of four players each on a rectangular sheet of carefully prepared ice
. Teams take turns sliding heavy, polished granite stones down the ice towards the target (called the house). Two sweepers with brooms accompany each rock and use timing equipment and their best judgment, along with direction from their teammates, to help direct the stones to their resting place. The complex nature of stone placement and shot selection has led some to refer to curling as "chess on ice."[1]"

the above was taken from wikipedia, please follow the link to find out more
Sure I see guys like Brendan running marathons and I think to myself, hey I could do that any day of the week, make myself a big fat cheeseburger, lace up my timberlands and hit the road for the NYC marathon, but when I saw Curling on the olympics, i thought MAN! are those guys and gals athletes.

how many people do you know that can push a Granite slab, down a bunch of ice, and sweep in front of it vigorously until it lands on the other side, this is right up there with beer pong and darts, fine specimens these curlers are....I mean i was at burger king the other day and this guy was sweeping the floor and all i could think about was how much i admired his form, then hit hit me....he could be one of the greats and i could never know by looking at him.


No comments:

Post a Comment