Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Remembering J.B. Buono



On Saturday February 28Th the legendary trainer of Iona College J.B. Buono passed away. It was truly a sad day for all Gael fans. An Iona and New Rochelle Hall of Famer, J.B. served as an athletic trainer for more than 50 years at the College.

Buono was hired as the full-time athletic trainer at Iona in 1960. A distinguished World War II veteran he was once described as being to Iona “what the Statue of Liberty is to New York”.

501 Huguenot was always a great admirer of J.B., we have all worked with him in one way or another. From co-workers, to student staff, to basketball manger, he has touched our lives in so many ways.

I can remember him my first week of school at Iona back in 2002. I just had my first day working in the "cage" and here was this old man shuffling his way down the hallway looking at me saying "Yeah, Man!" I remember being amused and nervous (that this man might fall,). He then proceeded to give me the "horns"!

Seven years have passed since that day, and everyday since he has made me laugh with his stories, outlandish gestures, the horns, his social life at Beechmont and Specatators (when his granddaughter was singing), his driving, and most of all his presence at all the Iona basketball games.

We will miss you J.B., rest peacefully.

Funeral Arrangements

No comments:

Post a Comment