Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Light at the End of the Regular Season


So I'm lounging around in my sweats acting like a real loaf at my parent's place today on Long Island. This is probably the first weekend I've had off since basically basketball season started. Mind you, a lot of what I do is semi-volunteer. I choose to go to the games and follow the team, but then someone usually needs me to do something, so it's just better that I show up and participate.


Now, don't get me wrong I would rather be at work right now helping the team prepare for the big dance, but unfortunately that's not happening this year. However, there's been rumors that we might be playing in one of those "other" postseason tourney's, either the CIT or the CBI. What's your take on them?


Here are my questions...

As a coach are you praised for making one? Are you frowned upon by turning it down? Will next year's resume include a bid to the CBI or CIT? Will there be a banner next year in the rafters with CBI on it like schools do for the NIT?


Did the NIT go through all of this skepticism when they first started or the NCAA tourney? Should there be a few more of these tourney's kind of like the bowl system for football? Does this give Mid-Majors a better chance to feel like a champion and not like a little brother who has to sit out and lose right away when he gets in the game?


I have to say, I like the idea, I would like it more if there were more of them with categories. More Mid-Major tourney's would give these schools and programs more recognizable fame, but will the corporate sponsors support? It just feels a little unjustified when several Big East teams or Big Ten, SEC, ACC and BIG 12 teams get the nod. Granted their R.P.I's are significantly lower, but it would be nice that a 20+ Mid Major gets to play in the post season...


What are your thoughts?

1 comment: